Contemporary Moving Image Festival
Deadline: June 15, 2019
Photophobia is the 13th annual festival of short-format contemporary media, film, video and moving image hosted in partnership between the Art Gallery of Hamilton and Hamilton Artists Inc. Established in 1999, Photophobia was Hamilton’s first film and video festival dedicated to the development of experimental time-based media at a time when there were no such platforms in the Hamilton community. Not confined by restrictions or themes, Photophobia is a free, two-part screening series presented every August under the cover of night in the Irving Zucker Sculpture Garden at the Art Gallery of Hamilton and the ArcelorMittal Dofasco Courtyard at Hamilton Artists Inc.
Apply by completing the online submission form: CLICK HERE
- Submissions must be short format (15 minutes or less)
- Work must be no more than 3 years old (2016)
- All submissions must be digital Vimeo or Youtube links (private/password protected is acceptable and encouraged). Other formats will not be considered. Do not send the jury files using Wetransfer or any other transfer platform that has a time limit for hosting the files. Do not use dropbox or other cloud platforms.
- No more than one submission per artist please.
- Films and videos should be independent projects, meaning that you, the artist, retain complete creative and artistic control of the project.
Please include in your submission:
- Artist Bio (75 words max)
- Artist CV (3 pages max)
- Short description of your submission (150 words max)
- Entry Information: Title; year completed; name; address; phone; email; role in production; format; length.
For questions, please contact: Selections Committee, Photophobia email@example.com
Hamilton Artists Inc. and the Art Gallery of Hamilton welcome submissions from all qualified individuals and strongly encourage submissions from members of equity-seeking communities, including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can access and complete the submissions process.
Please apply through the online submission form only. Hard copy and email submissions will not be considered, unless special accommodations were requested. Notification can be expected in July. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for the festival will be notified. IMAA remuneration will be provided to successful applicants within 30 days of the screenings.