Student Job Opportunity – Summer Gallery Assistant (SEP)
Starting June 11, 2018
Part time – 21 hours per week – $14 per hour
Application deadline: June 2, 2018
The Hamilton Artists Inc. artist run centre, is offering a summer job for the role of Gallery Assistant, funded by the Government of Ontario, Summer Experience Program (SEP). The Gallery Assistant will contribute to the daily operations of the non-profit artist run centre, working directly with the cultural community. A flexible work schedule is required, working weekdays, evenings (during events) and weekends (Saturday).
The Inc. is a collaborative, team orientated, fast paced environment working with contemporary artists and the larger Hamilton community. The ideal candidate is someone who is friendly, innovative, and has excellent time management and communication skills. Knowledge and understanding of the arts community in the Hamilton region will be beneficial, as will the candidate’s intention to build a career in the cultural industry sector.
The Gallery Assistant will work closely with the Executive and Programming Directors to provide preparatory, installation, administrative, research, and program support to gallery operations and the organizational archive.
– acting as gallery attendant, monitoring attendance, greeting visitors and informing them of the exhibitions and events
– working with the Programming Director and visiting artists, they will assist with exhibition installation and care and handling of artworks
– assist with implementation of community outreach activities including fundraising events, outdoor film screenings, monthly Art Crawls, artist talks and workshops
– marketing and communication with members and the public via social media, Inc. website, mailing lists, as well as in person. Updating website and social media to maximize attendance at events
– enhance audience engagement by hosting public tours of exhibitions
-assist with outreach activities programmed by the New Committee, which focusses on decolonization and diversity at the Inc.
-processing cash and online memberships, and updating databases
– assist with publication digitization initiative
– general filing and other administrative duties
– attending and assisting with Board and Committee meetings including fundraising, programming, special events, and membership development
Meets the criteria for Summer Experience Program (see below).
Excellent knowledge of contemporary art and Canadian artist-run centres.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Ability to multitask within a fast paced environment, autonomously as well as within a team setting
Currently undertaking a Studio Art, Art History, Museum Studies or Curatorial degree at the Undergraduate or Graduate level considered an asset but not necessary.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, WordPress and social media platforms, and Adobe Creative Suite
This position is funded by the Government of Ontario, Summer Experience Program (SEP) and candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- All students must be currently enrolled in a secondary, or post-secondary institution or within six months of graduation and have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 25 upon commencement of employment or up to 29 years for persons with a disability, if disabled, within the meaning of s.10 of the Ontario Human Rights Code, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, as amended from time to time.
- Students must be residents of Ontario during the period of employment.
- Students must be eligible to work in Canada and have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
Hamilton Artists Inc. aims to foster a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment. As such, the Inc. is committed to equity in all aspects of its operations. The Inc. encourages applications from students of diverse communities and backgrounds. The hiring committee is composed of the Executive Director and Interim Programming Coordinator whose decisions are informed by a policy and procedures document, which takes issues of equity and access into consideration.
Application deadline: June 2, 2018
Please email resume and cover letter (including SEP eligibility) describing your understanding of our organization, your interest in the position, and your related skills to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: SEP Application – First and Last name
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.