Job Opportunity: Communications & Outreach Coordinator
COMMUNICATIONS & OUTREACH COORDINATOR FOR HAMILTON ARTISTS INC.
Deadline: January 15, 2019 by 5 pm
Hamilton Artists Inc. (the Inc.) is an artist-run centre committed to the presentation of contemporary art and related cultural practices. The Inc. facilitates critical dialogue surrounding issues in contemporary art through exhibitions, publications, performances, and public events.
We are actively seeking a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, Person of Colour) individual for the position of Communications and Outreach Coordinator. This reflects the vision and values outlined in our 2018 Strategic Plan, which indicates that we aspire to connect with our changing communities by taking an intersectional approach, identifying and removing systemic barriers, and supporting artists and art practices that reflect the people of our region. We are aware of systemic barriers within the art world, and we strive to implement equitable models that provide true access and engagement with our programs.
In collaboration with the Executive and Programming Directors and the Board of Directors, the Communications and Outreach Coordinator will help to foster ongoing community partnerships, develop communications, and enhance membership, volunteer and visitor relations with a focus on equitable and accessible models. The Communications and Outreach Coordinator position for the Hamilton Artists Inc. is $21 000 at 3 days/week beginning February 12, 2019. Workdays are flexible and negotiable. Evening and weekend hours are required for committee meetings and events. Vacation pay is calculated at 4% of wages. The successful candidate will receive training and professional development opportunities within a one year contract, with option to renew.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Working with the Programming Director and NEW Committee to extend community partnerships and outreach programs that help dismantle structural barriers and introduce equitable models for access and engagement
- Enhancing the Inc.’s social media presence and helping to develop communications strategies that engage numerous audiences
- Developing membership and positive member-relations, including overseeing membership benefits and professional development opportunities
- Maintaining the Inc.’s website, including digital archives and online accessibility measures
- Coordinating ongoing marketing activities including writing text, preparing press packages, liaising with the media, designing print and online promotional materials, managing press and mailing databases
- Contributing to raising the profile of the Inc.’s contemporary art exhibitions, installations, and public programming regionally and nationally
- Maintaining volunteer recruitment, training and retention
- Attending Board meetings and Committee meetings as required and preparing reports
- Assisting with the organization’s day-to-day operations, including installation, administration, and liaising with the general public as needed
- A willingness to develop new job related skills through mentorship or other professional development opportunities
- Experience in building and facilitating relationships with various community groups with a commitment to actively dismantling systemic barriers
- Research and critical thinking skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a busy office environment, organize and prioritize work effectively
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office, GSuite, Social Media and Hootsuite, and WordPress; experience with MailChimp and HTML/Coding considered an asset
- Knowledge of Canadian contemporary art practices, as well as an understanding of the local and regional community and its growing needs
- Experience working in the non-profit sector with artists, volunteers, donors, and the general public
Hamilton Artists Inc. is committed to equity and access in all aspects of its operations. The Inc. welcomes applications from all qualified BIPOC individuals and strongly encourages applications from members of equity-seeking communities, including women, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
If you are contacted for an interview, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV/resume, and names and contact information for three references.
Please combine all files into a single PDF and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Communications and Outreach Coordinator Applicant in the subject line by 5 pm on Tuesday, January 15, 2019.