Job Opportunity: Communications & Outreach Coordinator
COMMUNICATIONS & OUTREACH COORDINATOR FOR HAMILTON ARTISTS INC.
Hamilton Artists Inc. (the Inc.) is committed to the presentation of contemporary art and related cultural practices. The Inc. facilitates critical dialogue surrounding issues in contemporary art through exhibitions, publications, performances, and public events. The Inc. actively engages in community arts programming and educational initiatives that represent the breadth and depth of cultural life in our city and beyond.
Hamilton Artists Inc. is committed to dismantling structural barriers that prevent participation in our programs and creating true inclusion for all artists and community members in our region. As such, preference will be given to a BIPOC-identified person with strong links to diverse communities.
In collaboration with the Executive and Programming Directors and the Board of Directors, the Communications & Outreach Coordinator will use their experience to foster ongoing community partnerships, develop communications, and enhance membership, volunteer and visitor relations with a focus on equitable and accessible models.
The Communications and Outreach Coordinator position for the Hamilton Artists Inc. is 24 hours/week at $17/hour, beginning July 11, 2018. Workdays are flexible and negotiable. Evening and weekend hours are required for committee meetings and events. Vacation pay is calculated at 4% of wages. The successful candidate will receive training and professional development opportunities within a six-month contract, with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Experience in building and facilitating relationships with various community groups with a commitment to actively dismantling systemic barriers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to organize and prioritize tasks effectively
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office, GSuite, social media platforms and Hootsuite, and WordPress; experience with MailChimp and HTML/Coding considered an asset
- Knowledge of Canadian contemporary art practices, as well as an understanding of the local and regional community and its growing needs
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector with artists, volunteers, donors, and the general public
- A willingness to develop new job related skills through mentorship or other professional development opportunities
Primary responsibilities include:
- Working with the Programming Director and NEW Committee to extend community partnerships and outreach programs that help dismantle structural barriers and introduce equitable models for access and engagement
- Enhancing the Inc.’s social media presence and helping to develop communications strategies that engage numerous audiences
- Managing the Inc.’s website, including digital archives and online accessibility measures
- Coordinating ongoing marketing activities including writing text, preparing press packages, liaising with the media, designing print and online promotional materials, managing press and mailing database
- Contributing to raising the profile of the Inc.’s contemporary art exhibitions, installations, and public programming regionally and nationally
- Developing membership and positive member-relations, including overseeing membership benefits and professional development opportunities
- Managing volunteer recruitment, training and retention
- Assisting the Executive Director with development initiatives such as sponsorship packages, the Annual Giving Campaign, and fundraising
- Attending Board meetings and Committee meetings as required and preparing reports
- Assisting when needed with the organization’s day-to-day operations, including installation, administration, and liaising with the general public
Hamilton Artists Inc. is committed to equity and access in all aspects of its operations. The Inc. welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and strongly encourages applications from members of equity-seeking communities, including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
If you are contacted for an interview, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV/resume, a sample of writing, and names and contact information for three references.
Please combine all files into a single PDF and email to email@example.com with Communications & Outreach Coordinator Applicant in the subject line by 5 pm on Monday, June 25, 2018. We will confirm receipt of all applications.