Job Opportunity: Summer Gallery Assistant (YCW)
Starting May 29th, 2019 for 13 weeks
Part-time – 30 hours per week – $14 / hour
The Hamilton Artists Inc. is offering a 13 week Summer Student Internship, the Gallery Assistant will contribute to the daily operations of the non-profit artist run centre, working directly with the cultural community. A flexible work schedule is required, working weekdays, evenings (during events) and weekends (Saturday). Job duties include: arts administration; presenting/developing visual art exhibitions including installation and gallery preparations, developing an exhibition essay, archival documentation; community engagement and special events programming; marketing and promotion of gallery events (print and online); membership and archives management. The Inc. is a collaborative, team orientated, fast paced environment working with contemporary artists and the larger Hamilton community. The ideal candidate is someone who is friendly, innovative, and has excellent time management and communication skills. A knowledge and understanding of the arts community in the Hamilton region will be beneficial, as will the candidate’s intention to build a career in the cultural industry sector.
This position is funded through Young Canada Works and the Canadian Museums Association, which states that students must be registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year; intend to return to secondary or post-secondary school on a full-time basis during the next academic year; are between 16 and 30 years of age; are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible); legally entitled to work in Canada; are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment; and not be working 30 hours or more at another job.
- Meets the criteria for YCW Eligibility
- Advanced English is required, French is considered an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of contemporary art and Canadian artist-run centres.
- Excellent written communication skills and proven ability to write critical interpretive texts
- Currently undertaking a Studio Art, Art History, Museum Studies or Curatorial degree at the Undergraduate or Graduate level.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, WordPress and social media platforms, Adobe Creative Suite (intermediate Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop) typing, and researching skills. QuickBooks proficiency is an asset but not necessary.
- Ability to multitask within a fast-paced environment, autonomously as well as within a team setting
The Inc. is a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment. We are dedicated to social and cultural diversity in our operations and programming and encourage applications from students of diverse communities and backgrounds. The hiring committee is composed of the Executive and Programming Directors whose decisions are informed through a policy and procedures document that considers diversity in the hiring process. Hamilton Artists Inc. is committed to employment equity.
Application deadline: May 13th, 2019
Please email a cover letter (including YCW eligibility), resume, and short writing sample describing your understanding of our organization, your interest in the position, and related skills to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: YCW Application – First and Last name
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.