We’re Hiring: Summer Gallery Assistant
Summer Gallery Assistant (CSJ)
Starting June 20, 2023
30hrs/week, $16/hour, 9 weeks total
Hamilton Artists Inc. is offering a Summer Gallery Assistant position, the Gallery Assistant will contribute to the daily operations of the non-profit artist run centre, working directly with the cultural community. A flexible work schedule is required, working weekdays, evenings (during events) and weekends (Saturdays). Job duties include: arts administration; presenting/developing visual art exhibitions including installation and gallery preparations, developing an exhibition essay, archival documentation; community engagement and special events programming; marketing and promotion of gallery events (print and online); membership and archives management.
The Inc. is a collaborative, team orientated, fast-paced environment working with contemporary artists and the larger Hamilton community. The ideal candidate is someone who is friendly, innovative, and has excellent time management and communication skills. A knowledge and understanding of the arts community in the Hamilton region will be beneficial, as will the candidate’s intention to build a career in the cultural industry sector.
Canada Summer Jobs Requirements:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Meets the criteria for CSJ Eligibility
- Advanced English is required, French is considered an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of contemporary art and Canadian artist-run centres.
- Excellent written communication skills and proven ability to write critical interpretive texts
- Currently undertaking or has completed a Studio Art, Art History, Museum Studies or Curatorial degree at the Undergraduate or Graduate level (preferred, but not required)
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, WordPress and social media platforms, Adobe Creative Suite (intermediate Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop) typing, and researching skills. QuickBooks proficiency is an asset but not necessary.
- Ability to multitask within a fast-paced environment, autonomously as well as within a team setting.
The Inc. is committed to equity and anti-oppression in all aspects of its operations, recognizing that systemic oppressions in our society cause considerable barriers to accessing equal employment. We welcome applications from members of equity-seeking communities (including, but not limited to): Indigenous, Black, people of colour, refugees, newcomers, immigrants, Two-Spirit, LGBTQI+, gender diverse persons, persons with disabilities, and those on low-incomes or living in poverty. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can complete the application or interview process.
Application deadline: June 6, 2023
Please email a resume, short writing sample, and a cover letter describing your understanding of our organization, your interest in the position, and related skills to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all documents as a single PDF.
Subject line: CSJ Application – First and Last name
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.