We’re hiring: Programming Coordinator
CALL FOR APPLICANTS
PROGRAMMING COORDINATOR FOR THE HAMILTON ARTISTS INC.
Hamilton Artists Inc. is committed to the presentation of contemporary art and related practices. The Inc. facilitates critical dialogue surrounding issues in contemporary art through exhibitions, publication, performances and public events. The Inc. actively engages in community arts programming and educational initiatives that represent the breadth and depth of cultural life in our city and beyond.
As the Programming Coordinator for the Hamilton Artists Inc., the successful candidate will utilize their experience and initiative to facilitate the organization’s exhibition and programming vision. The Programming Coordinator reports to and collaborates with the Administrative Director —with the support of the Board of Directors— to implement and coordinate the exhibition programme and related projects, oversee the production of publications, and write grants to support individual exhibitions.
The Programming Coordinator position for the Hamilton Artists Inc. is 26 hours/week with a salary commensurate with experience, beginning April 2014. The successful candidate will receive a one-year contract, with an option to renew.
The successful candidate will possess:
- An MA, MFA or equivalent experience in art history, visual culture, curatorial studies, or fine arts
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a non-profit art gallery or equivalent
- A solid knowledge of Canadian contemporary art, as well as an understanding of the local and regional arts community
- Experience managing budgets and grant writing
- Supervisory experience
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Macintosh computer skills, including Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop), Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
- Fluency in both official languages, written and verbal considered an asset
Primary responsibilities include:
- Managing the coordination of exhibitions, including coordination of submission review process, negotiating and managing all contracts, budgets, and preparing exhibition receptions
- Communicating with exhibiting artists in the development of exhibitions, including coordinating shipping, travel, insurance and equipment needs, and overseeing exhibition installation
- Coordinating all publicity including writing press releases, preparing press packages, liaising with the media, managing press and mailing databases and actively raising the profile of the Gallery locally and internationally
- Coordinating all marketing, negotiating all advertising contracts, and designing advertisements
- Managing publication coordination including brochures, distribution, catalogue exchange, documentation, the gallery website and archive
- Overseeing maintenance of the gallery space and equipment
- Organizing Ontario Arts Council Exhibition Assistance grant reviews
- Participating in developing and setting financial, operational and outreach priorities in collaboration with the Administrative Director and the Board
- Participating in creating and monitoring strategic and development plans, in collaboration with the Administrative Director and the Board
- Working with the Administrative Director on all operational, employment, foundation, and sponsorship grant applications, and preparing programming project-related grant applications and sponsorship packages
- Managing support staff and volunteers with the Administrative Director
- Attending Board meetings and Committee meetings as required, preparing programming reports for the Board
Interested candidates are requested to submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples by 5PM on February 12, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org with Programming Coordinator Applicant in the subject line.