Cannon Project Wall
Deadline: January 16, 2021
Hamilton Artists Inc. is seeking proposals for the Cannon Project Wall, the 8×33 foot billboard on the side of our building. Located at the corner of James and Cannon Streets in downtown Hamilton, the billboard sees upwards of 10,000 vehicular and pedestrian traffic each day. We encourage proposals from local, national, and international artists working in any medium and at all levels of their careers. As an artist-run centre, we are interested in works that push artistic boundaries and engage with critical, conceptual and/or experimental thinking from diverse perspectives.
Installations are typically mounted for a full year and often take the form of a printed vinyl banner, though they are not limited to this format. Artists are asked to consider the size and ratio of the billboard, and the technical requirements for realizing their proposed artwork, including outdoor durability and safety considerations.
We pay artist fees based on CARFAC standards. Where possibe, the Inc. covers costs related to fabrication and installation. Due to the public nature of the space, the Inc. is not responsible for damage to works installed on the wall. Examples of Cannon Project Wall installations can be found HERE and HERE.
We welcome submissions from artists of all backgrounds including, but not limited to, Indigenous, Black, and people of colour; refugee, newcomer and immigrant persons; two-spirit, LGBTQ+ and gender non-binary persons, persons with disabilities, and those on low-incomes or living in poverty.
Applications submitted at this deadline will be considered for a billboard installation in summer 2021. The jury for the Cannon Wall Project is comprised of members of the Inc.’s Programming Committee and Board of Directors. Selections criteria are informed by our values and strategic objectives. Notification can be expected in early spring. Only successful applicants will be notified.
- Completed application form (Download it either as a fillable PDF or Word Document)
- One single PDF or Word document with your CV (3 pages max.) and biography (150 words max.). For curatorial applications, please include CVs and Bios for yourself as well as each proposed artist.
- (Optional) Articles, reviews, interviews, etc. related to your proposed work, scanned and saved within your PDF or Word document (2 articles max.)
- Up to 10 images of proposed or past work (may submit sketches or renderings). For video or audio support material please include youtube, vimeo, or soundcloud links (with passwords, if applicable) in your PDF or Word document.
Please submit all your materials using the form below. Do not send files using file sharing platforms like wetransfer, dropbox or google drive.
Alternative Ways to Apply:
We accept audio or video submissions in place of written proposals. Please answer all the questions from the application form and send us your recording along with the other required materials (i.e. your contact details, images, bio, CV, etc.). Submissions in alternative formats can be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Audio submission: 15 minutes max. and no larger than 100 MB, or sent as a soundcloud link.
- Video submission: 15 minutes max. and no larger than 1 GB, or sent as a youtube/vimeo link.
Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can access and complete the submissions process. For questions or help with your application, please contact Programming Director, Abedar Kamgari, at email@example.com.
To apply to the Cannon Project Wall, please complete the form below:
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
Hamilton Artists Inc. has numerous submission opportunities, CLICK HERE to read the general call for submissions and learn about other opportunities.