Join our Board!
Call for Expressions of Interest – Hamilton Artists Inc. Board of Directors
Would you like to be part of a dynamic art organization in Hamilton? Hamilton Artists Inc. is looking for new board members. The Inc. has a working board, which means that board members volunteer their time to help run the organisation. As an Artist-run Centre, we are made up of artists and people who care about art in this city. If this sounds like you, please consider making an application to join us.
We have a new strategic plan and one of our core values is the dismantling of structural barriers that can prevent access to art and art institutions. We recognize that expertise comes in many different forms, and so we are creating a robust team of people with a wide range of backgrounds and life experiences to help us achieve our goals:
- fostering artists’ participation in national and international art discourses
- increasing our organizational capacity
- engaging more effectively with our communities.
Ideal candidates will help develop strategies that will generate revenue, build the gallery’s profile and attract new supporters.
If being a full board member feels like too much of a commitment, you can join one of our committees instead. Active committee members contribute a great deal to the Inc.!
Some perks of being a board member:
- Gain valuable experience in the nonprofit sector including planning, finances, fundraising, communications, marketing etc.
- Network and build meaningful relationships within the art world
- Make a difference in your community by adding your voice to your local Artist-run Centre
Commitments of each Board Member Include:
- Regular attendance at monthly board meetings (approximately 5 – 10 hours of work per month, or as needed depending on board role)
- An informal commitment to stay with the organization for a minimum of two years
- Active participation on at least one board committee
- Staying informed about committee matters, preparing for meetings, and reviewing and commenting on minutes and reports.
- Participation at Inc. events and fundraising activities
- Assuring the financial stability of the Inc. by obtaining the support and financial resources necessary to achieve the Inc.’s aims and mandate.
- Maintaining the strategic and operational plans for the Inc.
- Supporting the Inc.’s programming and maintaining familiarity with the arts community in Hamilton
How to Become a Board Member or Committee Member at Hamilton Artists Inc.
Apply to Join the Board:
Please fill out an application form. Please send the completed form along with a letter of intent and a current cv or resume to the following email address: email@example.com
The application form can be downloaded here.
Once we have received your application, you will be invited to attend a board meeting. This gives us a chance to meet you, and you can get a feel for the organisation. You will be given information on board duties and responsibilities. If you then decide that yes, you still want to join us, the board will vote on your application at the following meeting. If your application is successful you can start working with us right away. The full slate of current working board members is then voted on by our membership at the AGM (Annual General Meeting).
Board Member Qualifications
The Board consists of members who possess a variety of skills, knowledge, perspectives and talents. The Inc. is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion at all levels of the organization and programming. We encourage applications from individuals with a range of backgrounds and life experiences. A majority of our board members must be artists.
Ideal candidates are practicing artists or people who have an interest in contemporary art and non-profit management. We welcome candidates who are community-minded and possess good communication and interpersonal skills. Any of the following will be considered an asset: experience in BIPOC organisations or related life experience, experience in LGBTQ+ organisations or related life experience, experience with disability advocacy or related life experience, fundraising and development, fiscal management, event management, marketing and communications or previous experience in non-profit culture. None of these experiences are mandatory – if you want to participate, we want to hear from you.
Board members must be members of the Inc. in good standing. Board members are volunteers and therefore cannot be financially compensated for their work, or exhibit at the Hamilton Artists Inc. while serving on the Board of Directors.