Submissions: Cannon Gallery
Deadline: January 16, 2021
The Cannon Gallery is the Inc.’s largest gallery space. We encourage proposals from local, national, and international artists and curators working in any medium and at all levels of their careers. As an artist-run centre, we are interested in unconventional and challenging contemporary art that engages with critical, conceptual or experimental ideas and approaches. The Inc. supports submissions that showcase artists’ most recent endeavours. We pay artist fees based on CARFAC standards.
We welcome submissions from artists of all backgrounds including, but not limited to, Indigenous, Black, and people of colour; refugee, newcomer and immigrant persons; two-spirit, LGBTQ+ and gender non-binary persons, persons with disabilities, and those on low-incomes or living in poverty.
The Cannon Gallery is currently programmed through to 2023. Applications submitted at this deadline will be considered for exhibitions in 2024. The jury for the Cannon Gallery is comprised of members of the Inc.’s Programming Committee, Board of Directors, as well as invited guest jurors from the community. Selections criteria are informed by our values and strategic objectives. We receive a very high volume of applications for this space and typically can select only 2-3 proposals each year. Notification can be expected in late summer. Only successful applicants will be notified.
- Completed application form (Download it as a fillable PDF or Word Document)
- One single PDF or Word document with your CV (3 pages max.) and biography (150 words max.). For curatorial applications, please include CVs and Bios for yourself as well as each proposed artist.
- (Optional) Articles, reviews, interviews, etc. related to your proposed work, scanned and saved within your PDF or Word document (2 articles max.)
- Up to 15 images of proposed or past work. For video or audio support material please include youtube, vimeo, or soundcloud links (with passwords, if applicable) in your PDF or Word document.
Please submit all your materials using the form below. Do not send files using file sharing platforms like wetransfer, dropbox or google drive.
Alternative Ways to Apply:
We accept audio or video submissions in place of written proposals. Please answer all the questions from the application form and send us your recording along with the other required materials (i.e. your contact details, images, bio, CV, etc.). Submissions in alternative formats can be sent directly to email@example.com.
- Audio submission: 15 minutes max. and no larger than 100 MB, or sent as a soundcloud link.
- Video submission: 15 minutes max. and no larger than 1 GB, or sent as a youtube/vimeo link.
Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you can access and complete the submissions process. For questions or help with your application, please contact Programming Director, Abedar Kamgari, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply to the Cannon Gallery, please complete the form below:
[contact-form-7 id="10377" title="Cannon Gallery Submission Form"]
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
Hamilton Artists Inc. is an Artist-Run Centre. To read about the history of artist-run culture in Canada, please download the Canada Council for the Arts Report by clicking on: the distinct role of artist-run centres in the visual arts ecology
Hamilton Artists Inc. has numerous submission opportunities, CLICK HERE to read the general call for submissions and learn about other opportunities.